Friday 25 December 2015

Finishing up Before the Challenge, pt.2

More accurately, finishing up during the challenge. 

Aye, more Spanish Civil War to show you, that I didn't quite manage to finish for the Wyvern all-day game, but worked on slowly this month. With two sections pretty much done, I'm working on support options at the moment and this Army Hotchkiss machine gun team should do the job nicely. From Empress, fine sculpts with a head swap to give both helmets, if a bit fiddly to assemble the gun. 




Also this Bilbao armoured car to support my Carabineros. A fine resin model, also from Empress miniatures. This featured in the all-dayer, though true to form for freshly painted miniatures, didn't really achieve much. 

As Gharak pointed out, it did need some weathering. I think I got a bit carried away. 


This served as a test piece for a pot of pigment fixer from Vallejo that I picked up. Previously, I was happy with the subtle effects that I could get, but unfortunately they were rubbed or blown off when dullcoting. The fixer seems to work well at what it should do, but instead I struggled to get the same subtlety of effect with it: it tended to clump where the fixer was placed. I think I need a lot more practice, and looking back at the result, it does need a bit of tidying up and re-application.  

Finally and belatedly, a shot of this year's box of miniatures prepared for the painting challenge:


A whole range of stuff to get me to my modest target of 300 points: plenty of SCW, a bit of Sudan, some Pulp single miniatures, 15mm WWII Germans leftover from last year's challenge, 28mm Napoleonic Cacadores that have featured in at least three (!) previous challenge boxes (and still not even started!) and a couple of surprise entries. 

Now, what to paint next? 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I don't think the weathering on the armored car looks over-done at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The machine gun team is ace. Looks like the gunner is asking himself what he's doing here... guess he just remembered he was suposed to be home for lunch already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those glorious miniatures to be treated to your exquisite brush skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your brush work!

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with Empress, lovely MG Team and AC. I have never tried pigment fixer, when I use MIG pigments for weathering mud for my vehicles I use thinners to brush it on and this is after it has been varnished and then it is just left as is. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.