Monday 30 June 2014

Sudan Stocktake: The British

Like many of you, the summer has been playing havoc with hobby time, with the current football World Cup having me assembling minis in front of the choice games on TV. No bad thing really, I can do with a break every so often. I've been particularly enjoying building up some Perry Afrikakorps plastics, a lovely lovely boxed set that go together so well. I've also just finished a fairly sizeable project that have been cluttering the painting table for months - more to show on that once I've taken the camera out later in the week.

So, after a short interlude from this series to paint up a few more odds and ends, I can bring you Her Majesty's forces. The field force assembles:


The Artillery Park - screw gun and rocket trough


King's Royal Rifle Corps and Indian Infantry


The Naval brigade, Gardner gun and Royal Marine Light Infantry


The cavalry wing: 10th Hussars and Mounted Infantry


Miscellaneous civilians and hangers on. 


Not a bad force all in all - really pleased with how each and every unit has come out so far, these have definitely been some of my best painting for years. There are just two things I really must finish off: a third Command stand and a vignette of standing horses for the Mounted Infantry. The command stand is on the painting table now. Both being small bits, they should be done in no time (relatively), so I'm comfortable picking one of the next club nights to take it all up to Wyvern and put a game of Black Powder on. All this work and I'll finally get get it all out, full painted and based. Yay!

Of course, the lead mountain isn't empty: in the box to be assembled are another unit of British Infantry and one of Highlanders and a 7lb artillery piece. Oh, and I shouldn't forget the steamer - I've fun plans for that.

Plenty to be getting on with, though I might take a break from the Sudan soon to attend to some other projects. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted! Good luck with the Highlanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - I've been through this relatively recently so suspect they won't hit the painting table until next year...

      Delete
  2. Very nice , great to see them all.. I look forward to letting my Mahdists at em some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job, these minis are really beautiful, the last pic is my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's a Victorian era game without a motley collection of adventurers?!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic collection. I love the Perry Sudan range and strongly think they may need to expand a little more.

    Regards

    Vinnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish! I've a good proportion of the set now, but further releases would have me bringing the credit card out pretty sharpish!

      Delete
  5. A very lovely collection indeed!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those look great. I was wondering where you got your larger unit bases from?

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all Warbases unit bases. The big cavalry ones are good - I've got some 5-man custom ones too, just drop them a note and they can sort you out.

      I'm also making some of my own for the Mahdists - I'll have a post up on it in a few days which you may be interested in.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.