Tuesday 10 July 2012

A swift project switch later...

I seem to have a very short hobby attention san at the moment. I'm hopping around eras like crazy, but doing a good job of clearing things off the painting table. To make space for more minis, of course!


I bought these Flemish Mercenaries from Gripping Beast to join my Saga Vikings, but only half-painted them before moving on to another project. I couldn't resist because they are awesome minis in their mail coats and kite shields (should have collected Normans, really). The chance to play some more Saga at CLWC was a good excuse to dig them out and finish them off.

They also give an interesting tactical option for my Vikings. In Saga, Vikings are play almost entirely aggressively, with very few defensive options on their Battleboard. Which means they hit hard, but take a lot of punishment themselves too. These chaps are very different - tough as old boots but can't load up on abilities. They strike me as useful as a screen or for taking and holding objectives. I'm looking forward to giving them a whirl, especially against those pesky Normans and their crossbows!

And in close order

Shield transfers are LBMS once again, though I paint over them to take the sheen off and bring some of the colours into line. They just need a burst of Dullcote (weather *sigh*) and a few Mininatur tufts to finish them off.

I don't know what's next to paint, but doubtless I'll be back on it soon.

11 comments:

  1. They look good as usual

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent painting Phil. I know what you mean about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. This summer is a bugger, but my outpu is increased as I barely paint in hot weather. But we've not had any!

      Delete
  3. very good! I like the shields! (self painting or decals?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both! They are decals from Little Big Man Studios, which I've then painted over.

      Delete
    2. thanks! decals + paint = wowwwwwwwwwwww!

      Delete
  4. Get back to painting Greeks :-)

    I'm ashamed to say that I've still not started my saga minis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job on these! I like the use of blue to tie them together as a unit. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt. It sets them apart from the true Vikings too :-)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.