Wednesday 26 December 2012

WWWII characters, last of the 10mm WWII

I sent my first Challenge entry to Curt well before Christmas, but my own posting has had to wait s few days. I managed to get two more Weird World War II characters finished just in time for a couple of games over Christmas. Last year, I went away for the holidays before even picking up a brush, only to be left watching others rack up points for a week. Not this time! 



On the left is a British army Chaplain taking up arms to confront the German monstrosities. A really characterful, if slight, Warlord Games miniature. I've named him Padre Jonathan Harkness. On the right, 'Mad' Ross of Erracht,  an Infinity miniature that I though would serve perfectly well as a furious claymore-wielding Scot from centuries earlier.



I couldn't resist adding a little Saltire on his backpack and decided on a simplified 'Cameron of Erracht' tartan, as the green base echoes my Commandos' berets and the flash of red that also features elsewhere in the WWWII force.


Full dress of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1940, 
wearing Cameron of Erracht tartan. Courtesy of Wikipedia

I supplemented these two with a few 10mm WWII from Pendraken, which pretty much finish my British force for Blitzkrieg Commander.  Two stands of mortars and two of  Commandos. 



I haven't decided if I will blog all of my entries, in a way it is a repeat of what Curt puts up, but also gives me a chance to ramble a little more and preserve my entries on my own corner on the blogosphere. I suspect it will come down to whether I have time to or am back at the painting table!

10 comments:

  1. I thought these were brilliant, especially the Highlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, high praise from one of your skills

      Delete
  2. I also liked them a lot. I say post here as well, not only does it allow you to give more/different detail, it means your followers who do not catch Curts blog will get the full benefit (besides, it's less time at the table LOL)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year is very difficult to comment all the entries in "The Challenge",there are TOO MANY of them!
    These models are very nice, and the Highlander is fantastic, fantastic.

    I have took notes, too, about your wonderful bases...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true Juan, Tis hard to keep up when I'm on holiday let alone when I'm back at work

    The highlander is actually on a resin base that y brother used to cast. Luckily au have a stash to use up on character figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice painting - I haven't the patience to do tartan though. Mind you, when I saw the saltire on the ruck sack it reminded me of my green Berghaus Delta that I got in 1980 (and is still in the wardrobe) - upon which I sewed a saltire in the very same position before backpacking in Europe. I didn't take the red hair or the claymore though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I suspect many a patriotic Scot has done it before heading off to see the world!

      Having some the tartan first, my second entry will include a fine gentleman in a pinstripe suit. Sometimes I do seem to make life hard for myself!

      Delete
  6. Nice job. I think 10mm is the perfect scale for WWII, offering a scale small enough to maneuver on the game board but large enough to see all of the miniature goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree - much as I love 28mm (by far my main scale), 10mm really works for WWII. I find the tanks are a really nice size and can easily be distinguished, unlike 6mm.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.