Friday, 5 July 2013

A first attempt at vegetation for the Sudan

I haven't built much new terrain specifically for the Sudan project this year. But I did get hold of some rubberised horsehair recently to make thorny acacia bushes and scrub areas. This is the first experiment with it, three more 60mm round features as standalone scatter or alternatives to go in my tree bases.



The horsehair is pretty much how it came out of the pack, just cut and torn up into clumps and with a light drybrush of pale emulsion.



This is the horsehair as it came, about 1 inch thick. As it was flat on each side and thick, I tore it widthways which gave a good varied texture and used the flat side as the bottom of each clump as I cut them out. I found it pretty easy to work with to get a decent effect.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice, I was thinking about trying something similar for my Egyptian project, I agree it adds to the look and feel on the table.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up is a full-blown zariba for the Brits to defend. Well, a small one.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, rubberised HH is hard to come by now but still has its uses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, I was struggling to find some. Antenociti had some in stock recently, but Gharak came to my rescue - he has a seemingly endless pile of materials.

      Delete
  3. very effective.

    @ Andrew - try 4D Model Shop http://www.modelshop.co.uk/ for rubberised HH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to get to that shop for ages, unfortunately I'm just not in the area often.

      Delete
  4. Very nice effect, and really good finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan, I imagine it might be useful for NWF too.

      Delete
  5. These are superb. I've been a bit lacking the terrain dept for my Sudan project. I'll have to give the horsehair a go. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking minis, very nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes indeedy, what a result! Funnily enough I've been fiddling around with the horse hair to act as tumbleweed and had been worried about painting it, but not any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only lightened it slightly, I added a pic with it from the pack so you can see the difference. As they're based they shouldn't get handled too much so hopefully the effect will last.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.