As we roll into winter in the UK, the nights have drawn in and I'm starting to find a little bit of hobby time to keep things ticking over. I've finally finished these Mahdist Baggara cavalry off, which have been cluttering up the painting table for a many months.
I found them a nightmare to photograph, these were the best of a bad bunch. They have such contrast between the very dark skin and white robes that I can barely get the skin to come out. However I tried to light them they were too dark or over-shiney, not helped by them not being Dullcote-d yet due to the wintry weather in the UK. But I am managing to get more depth of field. I'm pondering photography solutions (maybe even a lightbox!) and will probably have another go at photographing these some day.
This is the second of the last three units completed to give the 'bare minimum' games of Black Powder that I've played to date. The third, Egyptian infantry, is on the table now, I'm hoping to get them finished over the next fortnight. That just leaves command stands, oh and the many other units that have accumulated in the lead pile! I'm hoping to stay focused and make a big dent in all of that during the Challenge, with the ultimate aim of putting on a game at Wyvern Wargamers in a few months.
Unless you've been hiding under a rock this week, you'll probably have realised that the annual extravaganza, Curt's 'Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge' is kicking off next month. I'm delighted to be taking part for the third time, as I find it a huge motivator to get things done, until the painting burn-out come March, of course! Like the other Challengers, the next few weeks will see me mulling over my points target, planning for the 'bonus rounds' and prepping as many minis as possible.