Tuesday 3 January 2012

Finding good trees

To my mind, having beautifully painted miniatures is only half the battle (excuse the pun). You also need great terrain to really put on a good spectacle. For many years I've been fortunate as my brother is a highly creative individual who excelled at making innovative and attractive terrain. However, for the Napoleonic Peninsular project, I offered to try my hand at the terrain, with varying degrees of success to date.

One thing I struggled with was trees. The usual wargaming trees just do not look right. Everything I found in model railway shows was either too high a price, required considerable assembly, or was not durable or not realistic- looking enough. I guess the flora you associate with the Peninsular is a bit niche for most major producers of model trees.

Last year I discovered Realistic Modelling Services, who had a huge range of different model trees at a reasonable price. And here is my first order 5 of their Olive trees, in two different sizes. I actually bought 6 but one hid in the box! Show with a 28mm Highlander for scale.



It is always a bit of a gamble using an unknown web company, but I really like these, they look the part, came painted and ready for use and the basing looks nice - can request them to be based for wargaming rather than railway modelling at no extra charge. Better still, they came in at under £4 each, including postage.
Verdict: highly recommended!


2 comments:

  1. good show! Oddly enough im looking for some trees, i will check them out. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some of their trees at a show last year, they're probably the best out there on the market, just wish they weren't so expensive! Just found you blog and joined up! keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.