Saturday 13 April 2013

The Bashi-Bazouks!

I couldn't resist getting some colourful Bashi-Bazouks for my Sudan project. Irregulars of the Ottoman armies, they could be found wherever there was the prospect of adventure and plunder.  As Sudan was a dependecy of Egypt, itself was a vassal state of the Ottoman Empire, I imagine there were plenty to be found there! They will bulk out the British and Egyptian forces and serve as irregulars and scouts. 

Bashi-bazouk chieftain by Jean-Leon Gerome, image from Wikipedia

And my version

Despite my initial enthusiasm, I had a bit of a nightmare painting these, to the extend that I started over at one point. The sculpts have bags of character, but were really fiddly to paint, being festooned with pistols and daggers. Initially, I thought I'd have them as a riot of colour with no uniform at all. This was the result of the initial block colouring with no shading or highlights:

Yup, they looked like Turkish clowns. 

Awful awful awful. I'm afraid choosing colour schemes that aren't uniform just isn't my strong point and my choices of colours sometimes leave something to be desired. Going back to the drawing board, I searched the interwebs for inspiration/or ideas to pilfer. I came across this quite spectacularly dashing unit of Bashi-bazouk cavalry from lonelygamers.blogspot.co.uk:


I really liked these so settled on a similar colour scheme, adding the mustard headscarves and a few green sashes, while keeping them far less vibrant than my initial effort.
And this is how minecame out. If I get any command, their leader will definitely get a turquoise headscarf!


Something of an improvement, I hope you agree! I'm much happier with the balance of the colours being fairly uniform, but the outfits and poses less so. They were a bit crisp and neat in my style so I grubbied them up quite a lot, though the weathering powder I'm using doesn't seem to looks as good over white. The sculpts are Perry Miniatures, the foot ones have long-rifles (and were from my secret santa) and the mounted ones with carbines were a bargain I nabbed on eBay. 


With that, I've finished the Sudan units I have so far, but oh look, it's Salute around the corner...

Update: someone on LAF asked for some close-ups so I obliged, thought I'd post them here too. 









17 comments:

  1. Well rescued and a fabulous result in the end, spot on Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Michael. Fancy any for your Sudan project? I'd look foward to seeing how you tackled them!

      Delete
  2. Great rescue job - they certainly look much better for being somewhat uniform :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hold stick to uniforms. Preferably grey.

      Delete
  3. They really do look better for the second go at them.

    Looking forward to this years Secret Santa, hopefully we will get more join in this year as I hope to give everyone a bit more time

    Cheers
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was fun and a good chance for some hobby treats!

      Delete
  4. Yep I've gotta agree they do look better being a little more uniformed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The uniformity is better, excellent painting there sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one bro, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers brother. Can these colourful chaps get you into Sudan?! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Very nice Phil! I really like the mustard coloured headscarves and the slightly grubby 'bloomers'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer Curt, I wish I'd have liked to get them in during the Challenge.

      The yellow is a new clour, the same as the lady in white's hair, actually. The base is Vallejo 'flat yellow' mixed with GW 'Cathlan brown', highlighted to flat yellow then with white.

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is great, i always want do somethink like that, but you know that this bashi bozouk are Albanians? Those from jean leon gerome are the fighters from the albanian Pasha Mehmet Pasha who ocupate egjypt, because of this thise people was at this time in Cairo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This i great! But you know that those "bashi-bozouk" are albanians?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment if you liked this post.